Monday, July 3, 2017

Sunshine

I have been having lots of people stop lately picking up orders. If Carson is on the porch, everyone is greeted the same. With his giant smile and a hug. 
I have lost track in the amount of people that say to me how much they love seeing him on the porch. He is always smiling and looks like he is having the best time they say. Carson is on the porch most of the day. Sometimes he is on the back porch, but the front porch is where he is happiest. 
He might be on his ipad out there watching a video or listening to something, but he is outside and he is happy. 
I can still remember the time of his life when he didn't want to be touched unless it was initiated by him and it was generally he wanted squeezed. When he wanted squeezed he would get behind you in the chair or couch and want you to lean back with all your weight pushing on him. Then something clicked in his brain and he figured out hugs made him feel good. And hugs make other people feel good too. 
Hugs are the only thing I can think of the his teacher and I disagreed over.  When he went to high school she said we needed to work with him to not give hugs but to shake hands. Although I totally respected what she was saying, I told her I would never tell him he couldn't give someone a hug. You do that at school and I support you. But at home hugs are ok. We have worked with him and he understands our rules. He has to have his shirt on if he wants to give a hug (sometimes he sneaks hugs when he is shirtless), if he doesn't want a shirt, he shakes their hand. 90-95% of the time if we are out of the house and see someone he will shake hands vs hug. 
I watch him when he greets people, it amazes me how he knows who needs that extra special big hug. It doesn't matter your age, if you come through our gate or door be prepared for a Carson hug if he spies you. Even babies (although they seem to get a kiss on the cheek or head as well). We hear his hugs made someones day, I look forward to it when I come, they are the best, they are epic. 😊
This morning as I was laying in bed thinking I shouldn't be being lazy I need to get busy. He comes and crawls in our bed (his daily routine) and snuggles up. 16 years old and wants snuggles from his Mom. I will take it. 
Our little hug dealer is a ray of sunshine for many. My wish is that he will always be sunshine for all that need it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment