Friday, May 12, 2017

Special Olympics

I have lost track to how many years it has been that Carson has participated in Special Olympics. I can remember when we were first approached about him participating, and Bill and I were both hesitant. We both had the thought that it was for people with worse disabilities then Carson. We were so wrong. We were encouraged to have him participate. So we said ok. 
Let me just tell you it was one best decisions. It is a day that we look forward to every year. Watching the athletes is great. The athletes have a great time. The smiles on their faces, is one that makes a parents heart get bigger and bigger. Not just for your child. Every athletes achievement makes you burst with pride. The first year we went, there was also several classrooms there that went to support Carson and all the rest of the athletes. The screaming, cheering and smiles they had for the athletes was something I will never forget. I wish the school would send the entire student body to support the athletes. It would mean alot to the athletes and it will be a wonderful experience for the kids. 
The first year Carson's classmates came, and I can still remember this...it was lunch time so the teachers took the kids over to the park for a break and to eat. I didn't know they had come back over yet because they were not in the stands. Well they were announcing Carson's name as winning a medal, and all of a sudden there were cheers, screaming and clapping. The kids were so excited for Carson. I bawled. I love how these kids support Carson and all the other athletes. They had banners and signs. They chanted for their classmates. 
A few years ago the coordinators had an idea to let the athletes design the t-shirts. Carson was selected to be the first athlete to do a tshirt design. He did an awesome design. So he and Coudersport represented the 1st year, the next year it was a different athlete from a different school district. Oswayo Valley, Northern Potter and I believe this year is Austin. I think it is one of the greatest ideas. I have a shirt from every year. I hope they have them for sale today so I can add to my collection. 
There are some great volunteers that make this event go off every year. They work hard to make it a success. From the commentators in the booth announcing the winners (every athlete is a winner) but he makes each one feel like they are the only one on the podium. The volunteers in the concession stand that make sure there is food for athletes and spectators. A variety, so there is something for everyone. 
The volunteers that give out the ribbons and medals. The ones that set up the events. Set up a auction as a fundraiser. 
If you every get the opportunity to go and watch this event, I strongly encourage you to. It is an amazing experience. Today we will go cheer our boy and all the rest of the athletes on, and leave us waiting to do it all over again next year. 
 
I am so thankful that I had my eyes opened to this experience of Special Olympics. It opened my eyes and my heart even more. 💕

No comments:

Post a Comment