Friday, April 5, 2019

Kindness Matters


When it came time to transition to High School - I had many sleepless nights, tears, anxiety.  How was all of these changes going to affect Carson?  I was so nervous.

The transition went so smoothly, mostly to the fact that he has an awesome teacher and great aides.  But another reason is the principal at the High School.  He goes above and beyond. Not just for special needs kids, every kid.  But I know he has a special place in his heart for special needs kids.

Over the years, we have had a couple different incidents with Carson and kids teasing.  Mr. Mongillo, both times handled them with kindness, discipline and education.  Isn't that what a great educator does?  Part of the discipline/education over the last incident was the individuals had to spend one day a week in the Life Skills/Autism Support Classroom to interact with the kids.  He wanted them to see just how special and awesome these kids are.  He is trying to teach every kid at CHS that kindness matters.  He has put our minds at ease so much these past 5 years - he shows up at Special Olympics to cheer the kids on, he asks about them, he interacts with them. He is right there cheering on their accomplishments, just as he is picking them up when they are down, encouraging them to do their best and that your best is good enough.

There has been many rumors the past couple months that Mr. Mongillo was going to leave CHS. I don't know the reasons he wants to leave, all I know is he is unhappy.  Which makes me very unhappy.  Because he does so much to make all the kids at CHS happy.  Not just my kid - every kid.

I was asked to make t-shirts in support of Mr. Mongillo for students and parents.  I did without hesitation, but I also have a little guilt by profiting when someone else is sad.  But I found a way to pay it forward and show that Kindness Matters.  I made bags for all the kids that are in the Life Skills/Autism Support Classrooms in both the High School and Elementary school with the proceeds from the shirt sales.  Through a grant they received these kids get to go to the YMCA in Olean to swim  - they all love it. (At least I know Carson does) The bags are for them to carry their towels and swimsuits in.

Not just in school - in life - our life, the Kindness we have received - has made the days go so much better.  Whether that kindness is a hug, a shoulder, a listening ear, a pat on the back saying "great job", cheering us on, a random dinner, watching the boys... your kindness matters to us.
Thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment