Thursday, April 20, 2017

Explaining Autism

You would think that considering Autism has been a part of our lives for the last 13 years, I would know how to explain it to kids.  But I really struggle with it.
I have had some new kids here at the house the past couple weeks, that have not grown up with Carson and they were asking me why he says No to them when they try to talk to them. Or he won't talk to them or play with them.  And I swear every time a situation like this happens, I struggle to spit out the right words to try to make little minds understand.  I try to use the same mentality as when we talk to Carson - less is more.  The more words you say, the harder it is for them to understand.  So I just say, Carson's brain works different then yours, and he might not talk to you, or he might say No, but that doesn't mean he doesn't like you.  When he wants to, he will talk to you, and interact with you.
Monday he was saying NO to them - Tuesday he was trying to tickle them - today when they left, he said Good-bye to them.  And the little boy was 5, and he was just as excited as could be - that Carson said Good-bye to him tonight.  It just amazes me how much this kid, can light up so many people with a smile, a hug or a wave.   Which just goes to show that the saying we put on his shirt this year, is the perfect saying.... Whether you color the world, or light it up blue, you are making a difference, so keep being you.

Keep being you, Carson - you make a difference in so many peoples lives.  Even little ones that don't understand everything.

Hell...I don't understand everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment