Monday, April 17, 2017

I am ONE

I saw this quote the other day, and I fell in love with it...

I am only one,
but I am ONE.
I cannot do everything, 
but I can do SOMETHING.
And I will not let what
I CANNOT do interfere with 
what I CAN do.

Reading that reminds me of time that people were so down on Carson.  When we asked a professional, what advise she could give us on how to get Carson to learn the sounds of his letters, and her response was "oh he will never learn the sounds of his letters"
Or when after Carson got agitated in a class and his aide said to another one "parents need to quit hiding behind all the psychological bullshit that they say is wrong with their kids, when all they really need is a good kick in the ass"
Talk about making Mama Bear madder then a wet hen.  LOL -

To the professional that said he would never learn the sounds of her letters, to this day if I see her, I can hardly stand to look at her.  She was so wrong.  He has learned all of the sounds of his letters.  At his birthday party on Saturday, he read every card that he got.  He is a good reader.  He might not read at his age level, but he can read.

To the aide, you my dear have no right to work with kids - especially kids with Special Needs, that need extra love and help.  You are lucky your not here any more, because you would be no where near my child.

If you spend any time with Carson you will agree, that the kid is super smart.  He just can't express himself or do things in a typical way.  This is the kid that can draw clues from episodes of Blue's Clues and repeat the directions that Steve or Joe tell you word for word how to do it, yet I don't even know the last time he watched the episode.  I love his drawings.  A few friends think that I need to make t-shirts with his drawings on them and sell them as Carson originals.

We have to be very strategic and careful when we do things, because he only has to see you do it once, and if it is something he wants, he will do it.  There are definitely things that Carson can not do, but we found out by trying to see if he can do it first.  Everything needs to be tried.  No one can ever say he can't do something if they haven't tried first.  And you have to try more then once.  Maybe change your approach - but you have to try.  And just because he cannot tell you something - doesn't mean he doesn't understand.

There are things he cannot do - but let me just tell you, there are many things that he can do - and he will amaze you.


No comments:

Post a Comment